The Neptunian Woman's Club of Manhattan Beach was organized long before there was a City of Manhattan Beach. At the turn of the century the sands were dotted with a few summer cottages for vacationers and the permanent residents of Manhattan Beach numbered a bit less then 600.
In May of 1909 a group of 10 women met and formed The Neptunian Woman's Club of Manhattan Beach. The purpose of the club was to work for the mutual benefit, both social and educational, of the community along with the advancement of Manhattan Beach. The ladies set to work immediately and one of the first events they sponsored was a Fourth of July picnic and fireworks show.
It has been said that it was the Ladies of The Neptunian Club whispering in their husband's ears that pushed forward plans for incorporation. The Neptunians organized the first library and established Pacific Elementary school. It was the Neptunians who tamed the blowing sand by approaching the City about planting seamoss on the dunes and hillsides in an effort to stop the sand blowing over the city. Today, much of the seamoss has been replaced by native plants and the dunes by numerous homes along The Strand and the Walk Streets.
Who are the Neptunians? We are single and married...Mothers, Grandmothers, sisters, Aunts and Best Friends. We are stay- at- home- Moms, Doctors, Lawyers, Teachers, Realtors, CPA's, Writers, Business Owners and Gourmet Chefs . We work full time, part time or we might be retired. We love Manhattan Beach and enjoy giving back to our community.
Who are the Neptunians.... We are the Women of Manhattan Beach.